All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never prior to have numerous brand-new methods and scientific advancements emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of individuals the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Choose the physician, not the laser center. Find out who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that medical professional's qualifications read this (e.g., board certification, special try these out training).
3. Select a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a sterile or dust-free operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount parachute.
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat different result. The finest surgeon on the planet can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of countless people around the world.